Friday, May 18, 2012

In Other Words...

From my experience in the past few job interviews, I came across some commonly used phrases that could have a crude and sarcastic meaning to it. So I shall start with the phrase that I heard and what I intepret.
Unleash your creativity in our shop
What I interpret: Contribute your ideas and boss earns the recognition while no pay increment for you.
Involved in production and having your say
"BKL" (bao kao liao - means you do everything even if it is out of your job scope)
Yes, we will definitely recruit you however you would start work in 3 months time
You may just wait and wait and end up with nothing, sucker!
We want to get the word out for our shop
Wants you to help them advertise for free
Besides this, there are also phrases commonly used by women that drives their man crazy, like...
I'm okay
A mild red light is flashing, so beware to ask further or keep your mouth shut because it could mean "Yeah, I'm okay. I would not think about what happened now... but maybe before I go to sleep/on the way to work/when I have time to myself and I would end up being paranoid."
I'm fine
Well this depends on the English standards that women are used to communicate with you; some people say "okay" often than "fine" and both have the same weight in meaning. However, in this case that "I'm okay" is used, "I'm fine" refers to the glaring fire engine or police cars flashing on the streets. Once she uses this phrase and you ask further, she would reply "Fine? You'd really believe I am fine with that? No, I'm not fine with it at all! Your attitude just now was horrible... I took so much time to prepare the dinner and yet you come home and said you had eaten when I told you I'd be cooking!"
Whatever
Seriously... that's stupid.
Ugh... I'm not gonna eat that; I'm on a diet
Depending on the personality of the woman - if she is headstrong then don't give her that food, but if she is one that wavers easily then just go ahead. It would usually mean "Would you spare me some fries? It would not have much effect on my weight cos I can burn it off while shopping."
Oh God she's such a bitch
It really means "I'm envious of her looks/her social circle/etc" when you see her exaggerated expression while saying this phrase. But if she looks slightly disgusted when saying that, she really hates the person but had gotten over the time when she used to spend energy to hate on them (e.g. gossip about their latest Facebook statuses, criticizing whatever they say)

No comments:

Post a Comment