Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Birthday at Hoshino Coffee

There was a mini celebration for Monica's birthday last Friday at Hoshino Coffee at Plaza Singapura over dinner. We gathered at about 6.15pm and afterwards, the queue was neverending! This is my second visit to Hoshino Coffee and I succumbed to the temptation of the tomato sauce omelette rice, just like what I ordered when I first visited with 大肥.

I'm gonna make a snappy review of the foods ordered but note that none of these pictures were taken by me but sourced from the internet:

Fuwa-fuwa


Fuwa-fuwa actually means bubbles bubbles in Japanese according to my friends. One of my friend ordered this and it jiggles like a fat cartoon character that I find it so adorable! Okay, cool it, it's just a food. So the top layer is made out of whipped egg or some egg custard and lightly baked. The bottom is filled with rice and ham and bacon and some mushrooms. I guess this dish is pretty light and good for someone who wants to leave some tummy space for the pancake souffle. My friend said she was hungry like three hours after dinner... so I guess it IS pretty light.

Lobster bisque


The freshness (as well as saltiness) of the bisque is absolutely tasty! Some people find it a tad salty - well lobster is caught from the sea so it should be salty since it is SEAfood isn't it? okay bad joke and moving along - but I find it alright. The portion is generous and the pasta is just right. Still, I couldn't quite bring myself to like this dish entirely because mark the rating of this food a little down due to the saltiness. So I'd say it is a 3 out of 5.

Tomato sauce omelette rice

My go-to food when I'm lazy to choose anything and it never fails me (maybe my tummy). This dish isn't suitable for strict Buddhists though, i.e. cannot eat anything that has beef in it, because the sauce contains beef gelatin. Don't worry, the staff always informs the customer beforehand so it's a plus point. Maybe I was too happy during my first visit that I didn't notice the measly amount of prawns and broccoli given, but I did notice it bright and clear this time: two pieces each, few cubes of cheese drowning in tomato sauce while omelette tops the rice. My omelette didn't fully cover the rice this time though, but who cares, it tastes so yummy. Hmm... I might say the omelette has a texture like the omelette in McDonald's big breakfast but a bit more cooked. The tomato sauce won't leave you jelak because it's the right mix of thickness and tomato-ishness.

Pancake souffle served with softee


You MUST try this... it's so fluffy and light! It comes with a dollop of whipped cream on the top and served with a cutesy little metal jug of maple syrup. We ordered it with softee - soft serve ice cream somewhat like McDonald's ice cream- and the combination of souffle with maple syrup or ice cream is anything but heavenly. Some say this is a crossover between a light cake and a pancake, and it definitely cannot be compared to McDonald's hot cakes - no no no! This is a light dessert, provided you don't order with the ice cream, that leaves me wanting for more. 

Oh my god, I'm so sorry for comparing this delectable dessert continuously to McDonald's food.

Matcha parfait

Am I the only one who feels that the green tea ice cream sold outside has more milky flavour than green tea flavour? This might be the one that has a perfect balance between both flavours and my avid-dessert-fan friend gave the chops and thumbs up to this. the matcha parfait comes in a tall sundae glass with cornflakes at the bottom, chestnuts, azuki (red bean) paste at the top, matcha jelly cubes, a salty/sweet cracker for topping and some slices of bananas. For someone who isn't an ice-cream fan, I would have to share this dessert with the girls after finishing a plate of tomato sauce omelette rice. I might just come back another time for the desserts only!

Last but not least, the hand-drip Hoshino coffee. It tasted a little bitter and sour but just like a normal long black coffee to me. How is it hand-dripped? I don't know. But what gets people go crazy over this 200 ml cup of coffee really boggles my mind. I'd rather drink something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment