Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Fika and Ah Chew

It has been almost a year since I last blogged! Many thanks to the busy semester in school and thank goodness for completing junior year. These two weeks was given for us to fully relax, rejuvenate and recharge for the upcoming senior year... then I'll graduate at the end of next year!
Let's get onto food review(s) shall we?
The usual group, a.k.a. Julie & Co., 10 of us went to Fika to celebrate Elijah's 21st birthday over dinner.
Happy birthday Elijah!
Julie said that everyone would have to dress fancy since we are eating at a fancy place but I guess everyone dressed as smart casual except for her. Here's my take on fancy NAILS. No outfit photos 'cos I'm not an OOTD (Outfit Of The Day) person.


As usual, everyone was running late and we're thankful, yet very embarrassed, that Fika opened the second storey seats just for us 'cos we are a big group and first floor was rather crammed. At first impression I thought Fika would be decorated with a lot of messy paisley prints like a cottage wooden house in Sweden but I had totally forgotten that IKEA is from Sweden too and it turned out that the restaurant was washed in white, simple designs yet looked very cosy and homely to be at. It is definitely a place to chill out and have good (and big portions) of Swedish food.
Five of us arrived first so we went ahead to order food. Everyone, except me, are able to eat beef so they ordered Swedish Homemade Meatballs ($19.50) and Swedish Pasta Bake ($17.90) to share. I can only drool at the generous amount of cheese in the baked pasta (no photo! :( )but I was turned off immediately when the oil dripped onto my napkin and turned into a light yellow colour (GASP! THE OIL!).


Swedish Homemade Meatballs. Credits to Fika Cafe
They serve large portions, usually meant to be shared if a group of girls are dining for the first time; quality is food is superb; and the ambience is calming. Most of us ordered crepes as recommended by Ziana and the food was so yummy that money was well spent! I ordered Skagen Crepe ($17.90) and its filling is a mix of Swedish fresh water shrimps, smoked salmon, fresh dill, mayonnaise and topped with fish roe. Don't be fooled by the word "shrimps" into thinking that they are hei bi (dried shrimps) 'cos they are very succulent!


Swedish Homemade Meatballs. Credits to Fika Cafe
Since it's my first time trying Swedish food and the crepe I ordered looked very similar to a food that can be found commonly in sushi shops, I would automatically compare to it right? The filling tastes similar to the crabstick or lobster salad/mayo sushi you get for $1.60 outside but the mayonnaise used in the crepe isn't thick and the shrimps give a firm bite - succulent - that doesn't make me feel jelak after finishing one portion of the crepe.


Skagen crepe
See that bunch of red roes on top of the crepe? It tastes so much better than the fish roe you get at sushi shop... I mean isn't it obvious? You get the food quality for the price you pay. I would say the roe is a little saltier as compared to the orange fish/shrimp roe used in sushi and it has to be savoured bit by bit.
If you are a beef-lover - and this advice is coming from a person who doesn't eat beef - you must try the Roast Beef Crepe than the Pytt i Panna (diced beef with potatoes, onions, egg and beetroot slices) cos they were all raving about it. Downside is that the salad dressing was a tad oily for me and I would prefer if they had replaced it with vinaigrette to make it more appetizing. Their desserts looked yummy but I haven't had the chance to try them and might as well save up since the birthday boy is treating us to dessert!
Overall, I would recommend friends to try this place and I would come back for the good service and savoury crepes and definitely the dessert! Money is well-spent :)
Directions to Fika (Beach Road): From Bugis MRT station, exit until you see BHG. Walk along Victoria St, walk through Golden Landmark, cross the road to Arab St and walk all the way to the end. You should see Fika at the shophouses on your left.
Next, we headed to Ah Chew's dessert at Liang Seah St and gossiped away.


Deciding what's nice

Most of us ordered Grass Jelly with Watermelon/Longan/Lychee 'cos we were rather full to our throat from Fika. It was a refreshing dessert with the grass jelly not-so sweet and has a firm bite and instead the sweetness was contributed by the syrup and watermelon. I can't remember the price exactly but I do remember that prices start from $2.80 and can go as high as $8.80 for Hashima.


Grass jelly with watermelon
Directions to Ah Chew's dessert: From Mos Burger at Bugis Junction, jaywalk (whoops but be very careful) to Liang Seah St until you see Yu Kee Duck Rice. Walk along the shophouses on the right side until you see the signboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment