Friday, July 26, 2013

Victor's Kitchen & Kooka Cafe

After learning our lesson from last time (greeted by 10% of the total menu when we visited Victor's Kitchen at 3.30pm on a weekday), we decided to reach there as early as we can. We reached at 11am which was quite a close shave before the lunch crowd comes in at 11.45am. I didn't take any photos cos I was busy eating from the giddy bus ride and an empty stomach - I cannot take long bus rides without proper breakfast. 

By the time we got there, 40% of the full menu was cancelled out so it was better than last time. We ordered minced meat porridge with dried vegetables, siew mai, har gao, deep fried prawn dumpling, fried beancurd skin wrapped with prawns, hot chrysanthemun tea and HK iced tea. The names which are bolded are the yummy ones. 

The porridge was a little more watery than I had expected for a Cantonese chok... something like a crossover between Teochew porridge and Cantonese chok. It is good in a way that I still have space for other foods served later. As compared to a Cantonese chok, the one opposite my house, it has a clean aftertaste and doesn't stick onto the mouth like a sticky porridge would. A sticky porridge tends to make me thirsty - maybe the MSG? - and I'll end up full by water. Overall, the porridge is a good "base" to go along with the heavy dimsums. 

I didn't like the siew mai and fried beancurd skin wrapped with prawns because there is this "pork taste" that leaves me jelak and turned off after a while. I love the har gao and deep fried prawn dumpling (or wanton) cos it is so full with prawns and filled with a lot less pork than the two dishes I mentioned earlier. Don't expect the fried dumplings to be half of your palm size because less is more and you savour it... not gobble it! Chrysanthemun tea is alright and I haven't got to drink HK iced tea cos I was busy eating.

Directions to Victor's Kitchen: Take 147 (leaving Hougang Bus Interchange) and sit and relax until you see Hotel Ibis Bencoolen, alight at the stop when the bus turns to the right to alight at Sunshine Plaza. If you are reaching there by foot, locate Hotel Ibis and you will see Sunshine Plaza. 

From Victor's Kitchen, my trusty Google Map led me to Kooka Cafe along Purvis Street. It took us a 15 minute walk to locate it and to digest our oily brunch. Kooka cafe is a relaxing, dim-litted cafe that serves light brunch, pastries and coffee. The cutleries and iced water are self-service and they sell art pieces that are hung on the walls. 

I ordered Pear & Almond Tart and Long Black while Xiaoli ordered Blueberry Cheesecake (MUST TRY) and Homemade Iced Tea.

Blueberry Cheesecake and Homemade Iced Tea. Credits to Xiao Li

Blueberry Cheesecake was light and its accompaniment of blueberries just pop in your mouth! Have it with some fresh cream and it tastes so amazing. I could have this all by myself and not feel sick at all.

Pear & Almond Tart
For your coming visit to Kooka Cafe, if you had a heavy lunch or not, you must try the Pear & Almond Tart. It is light and not diabetically-sweet. Just remember to eat with the fresh cream SPARINGLY otherwise you will start missing them :(
Long Black on top right corner with delicious Lemon Biscuit

I have never loved fresh cream so much before.

No comments:

Post a Comment